i've spent a lot of my life on the fringe of society.

free time spent chasing dreams that may or may not come true.
regretting nothing, because all choices and pursuits have led me to this simple life.



Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Rolling with the Punches

"If you want to get more out of life, you must lose your inclination for monotonous security and adopt a helter-skelter style of life that will at first appear to you to be crazy. But once you become accustomed to such a life you will see its full meaning and its incredible beauty." — Jon Krakauer

I feel like I'm truly starting to come into this lifestyle of homelessness.

It's kind of all about rolling with the punches and adapting to whatever the day throws at you. I don't really view it as a challenge, so much as a way to really just live for the moment.

Troy's housing some Dutch Soccer coaches at his digs in Caribou. We all went mountain biking last night, then had a few beers at the pub...getting into some interesting conversation on healthcare and government. Awesome to hear views from both Europeans and health care professionals. Cool dudes.

We left the pub, and next thing I know it's 10pm. I had forgotten to eat. Only place open was McDonalds, so I grabbed all my gear and tooled over there. I got 2 McChickens, some fries, and a drink, and headed to my spot for the night. I sat at one of the benches along the bike path and ate my heart-attack in a bag.

To the person who didn't know me, I must have REALLY looked like a homeless dude, with my beard, my bike, and sleeping bag.
Thing is, I didn't care. The night was nice and quiet, and it was a great way to wrap up a good day.

This morning, I ate my breakfast by the river at Riverside Park. I saw a homeless guy on the other side of the park. There is a small homeless community in Aroostook County...somehow. I wonder how they slip through the cracks in such a small, close-knit area.

I'm intrigued by homeless people in general.
They have a story.
When I started this blog, I had this idea in the back of my mind of eventually meeting Presque Isle's homeless and publishing my chats with them.
I'll sit on it for a little while more, but it's definitely something that would be pretty cool to me.

krp

1 comment:

  1. can we have more choices for your 'celebrity look alike party' poll? I'm not feeling either of your current choices.

    ReplyDelete