i've spent a lot of my life on the fringe of society.

free time spent chasing dreams that may or may not come true.
regretting nothing, because all choices and pursuits have led me to this simple life.



Thursday, July 15, 2010

2 Weeks Down: Conclusions Drawn Thus Far


Actually, my first night was June 28th, so I guess it's officially been 16 nights without a car, a bed, or a roof over my head.

I can honestly say I don't miss any of it.

Some conclusions:
-I sleep better than I do in a bed, and actually go to sleep earlier than when I had an apartment. There's not exactly a plethora of things to do once you've set up your tent, so you just go to bed when it gets dark.

-Walking and biking to work and around town for errands is great extra time for training.

-Already, my bills are declining. I'm going to have my only credit card paid off by the end of August. That leaves 2 relatively small student loans. It just gives me incentive to go all winter..or at least until we start the 25 below zero stuff.
I have this dream of being debt free...how that will open up so many options in my life. I'm obsessed with it the idea of it.

-It's hard to "plan" the two things taken most for granted when I had an apartment: food and showers. I figured the shower thing would be easy: show up at the gym every morning, workout, then shower. Nope. It takes about 30 mins to pack up camp, then I've got anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours coming back into town. Often times, that gets me into PI just in time to get to work...and I would feel weird signing into the gym just to shower and leave. Again, planning.

-Lastly, the beard itches. I go through spells where I hate it, and then times where I kind of like it because it fits what I'm doing.

-The amount of people that have supported this mission is amazing. Almost everyone thinks it's a kick ass idea. Special thanks go out to Mel and Penny, as I have crashed in their backyards on numerous occasions on those nights where weather was bad or I had trained until it was too late to go out into the woods.

Don't forget to vote. Only half the followers have voted!
2 days until my assault on as many peaks as I can bag from July 17th to 31.
In planning, the majority might be right in voting on 11-15 peaks, simply because of the lack of mountains in the County.
I'd still like to get more, though!

Have a good day...
krp

1 comment:

  1. When I read the first part of your post the first thing that came to mind was this quote:

    "As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. " -Henry David Thoreau

    It reminded me of my summer living & working in Baxter State Park. Good stuff Tentman I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete