i've spent a lot of my life on the fringe of society.

free time spent chasing dreams that may or may not come true.
regretting nothing, because all choices and pursuits have led me to this simple life.



Friday, July 2, 2010

Learnin' and Wiggin' Out


Location: Friend's backyard

Weather: Breezy, overcast

Temperature: 45-55 degrees

Hours of sleep: 7

Well, I'm learning a thing or two about preparation while homeless.

Number 1: Don't stay in the same place for a duration of time longer than a night. Why? It becomes not only a "temporary" home for you, but for other creatures. See Number 2.

Number 2: Don't leave your tent in the same spot for a long period of time with the zipper partly open. I had to go on a pest removal-fest last night before bed. Earwigs had gotten all through my tent. I took out 15, at least. I can handle flies. I can deal with mosquitoes. I cannot deal with these little ant/scorpion mongoloids. Gross.
I woke up a couple times in the night and turned my headlight on to be sure there were none that had found their way back in my tent, or worse, my sleeping bag.

Also, the rain for the last 3 or 4 days has killed my efforts to get out and see the wilderness. I am unwilling to pack up all of my stuff soaking wet, let it sit in Mojo for the day(still wet), then set it up and be wet for the next night.

It's been in the 40s and I'm not interested in hypothermia. The good news is that there is great weather now, and for tonight. Time to get Into The Wild .

Speaking of wild, check out this video. I posted it on Facebook yesterday, but I have some followers who aren't on FB. We had a gopher just walk into the shop! Check out our follies as we attempt to rid the store of the varmint!

Happy Trails, krp

No comments:

Post a Comment