i've spent a lot of my life on the fringe of society.

free time spent chasing dreams that may or may not come true.
regretting nothing, because all choices and pursuits have led me to this simple life.



Monday, July 12, 2010

River Wild


Stayed on the Aroostook last night somewhere off Parsons Road. The picture of the amazing sunset you see was right before the rain came. I didn't realize there was a gap between my rain fly and the screen and I got wet. During the night I had two encounters.

Early on, somewhere around midnight, I had something big by my tent, as I could hear it's sniffing and breathing. No tracks this morning that I could find in the softer part of the gravel about 10 feet or so from my tent, so I really don't know what it was. I was a tad nervous for a few minutes. It's all part of the experience though...kind of cool in retrospect.

Beginning about an hour or so after that,I had either muskrats or otters around me all night. I must have set up camp right next to their dwelling, because they kept walking right by and bumping into my tent. Are there even otters in northern maine? That's a question for you wildlife experts, I guess. All I know is that it was some kind of large rodent. They made little whining noises.

No comments:

Post a Comment